Logo Casey of Natchez
The Second Floor of My House

Second Floor PlanYou can click on the picture to the left to see the floor plan for the second floor.

The upstairs rooms were renovated fairly thoroughly. The prior owner put textured paint on all the walls, for which I would like to kill him. I had to sand down all those walls and ceilings before I could do anything. The trim was stripped or sanded, and the windows were pulled out, repaired, and put back in. The floors were also hand stripped and sanded. After the first few rooms were finished, my life changed significantly. I realized I was getting old and was doing this house alone. My goal then became to finish all the ladder work in all the rooms - before I got too old to do ladders. Hope I make it!

NOTE: There are slideshows for most rooms. If you click on any picture, you will be taken to the online slideshow where the pictures are larger and there are extensive comments.

Already renovated (more or less) in this order:

Magnolia Room
Attic
Angel Room
Garden Room
Porch
Hallway
Rose Room

Currently in progress:

Upstairs Bathroom

Magnolia Room

When I first moved into my house, my first priority was to finish my office, so I could start my business and earn some money. So the first room to be finished was the Magnolia Room.

The colors for all the rooms were chosen to match the tiles in the fireplace. In this room, the colors are green and burgundy. Since I spent a lot of my life away from the South, I have always loved the magnolia - the flower (and tree) that personifies the South. It just seemed to be appropriate to use magnolias in the first room I renovated in my new southern home - plus it went well with the colors.

TOP

Attic

This is not the real attic for the house. It's the attic over the kitchen, and it's accessed from the upstairs bedroom. Filthy is not the word for this room when I first looked at it.

However, I needed a place to keep work tools and supplies. It was a major, major cleaning project and was also probably filled with all manner of toxic substances. When I got it in presentable shape, I put some cabinets in there, and nailed pegboard to one wall.  It isn't a "pretty" room, and no one sees it but me. So it didn't occur to me to take a picture, but I think I will.

TOP

Angel Room

The Angel Room was the second room I renovated (not counting the Attic). I wanted my guests to have a special room, and everyone who stays there says it is indeed special. The colors chosen were rose and blue to match the tiles in the fireplace. I found a wonderful ceiling medallion with cherubs on it, and it determined the name and the theme of the room.


TOP

Garden Room

This room was originally renovated as an office for my assistant, and she helped with the work and the selection of colors and decor. When I retired from my business, I converted the room into a bedroom.






TOP

Porch

Upstairs PorchThis room was renovated to serve as my studio - where I kept all my arts and crafts stuff. It was originally a porch and sticks out over the downstairs porch. At some point, I discovered that the posts holding it up were rotten at the bottom. Since the room could collapse at any moment, I had to move out. The problem with the posts has since been fixed. At the same time, I removed the ugly, rotten, wooden stairs that led up here from the outside.

This is the only picture I have of this room. The only real problem in renovating this room was the wall to the right. It is brick and was covered with peeling paint. Paint gets into the pores of brick and is almost impossible to totally remove. However, I removed as much of it as I could and coated it with several coats of wax. I painted the room to match the colors on the outside of the house. In the meantime, I've changed the colors on the outside somewhat.

This room will eventually be renovated into a kitchenette for my potential renter. I had already added a sink.

TOP

Hallway

I did pictures of the progress on the dining room, but I didn't plan to do progress pictures on other rooms. However, my daughter, who is living in Austria, suggested that I keep up an ongoing renovation diary. Therefore, I don't have pictures of what it looked like before I started. The roof leak created by Katrina and Rita caused part of my ceiling to collapse. It took months and months to get the roof fixed. In the meantime, I just pushed all the plaster to the back of the hall along with everything it covered and ignored it. In March 2007, I finally faced it. It took that whole weekend to clean out the hallway and haul off the bags of plaster. Under the plaster was over a hundred years of dirt and soot. When I stopped at the end of each day, I was covered with dirty dust and looked quite awful.

TOP

Rose Room

The Rose Room was my bedroom before I moved downstairs, so it was in fairly good shape, although not renovated. The slide show is an ongoing diary of the renovation.

 

 

 

 

TOP

Upstairs Bathroom

I used this bathroom until I moved downstairs. I had no idea how bad it was at that time. The renovation is chronicled in the slide show.

 

 

 

 

TOP

 

 


Home House NWBS Natchez Contact